Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
US housing crisis underlines role of transit in reducing poverty, a lesson Metro Vancouver should remember — Geoff Meggs
US housing crisis underlines role of transit in reducing poverty, a lesson Metro Vancouver should remember — Geoff Meggs: "The explosion of poverty in America’s car-friendly suburbs, where waves of foreclosures are stripping families of their equity, is underlining the importance of public transit in supporting families on low income. The crisis is deepening this week as many states halt foreclosure sales because of fraud claims, a development that giving the US economy a further pounding."
at 9:31 PM
Tuesday, October 5, 2010
HIGHLIGHTS of Ken Wood's TAKE ON TRANSIT:Ken Wood
* BUILD TRANSIT CITY: time is short, no more debates This is a starting point.
* FREE PUBLIC TRANSIT. We need vision now for this to be a reality in 25 years,
* ESSENTIAL SERVICE is what Public Transit (TTC) should be. PUBLIC not private control.
* TTC Chair should be a separate, elected position requiring skills and experience going into the job, similar to how the USA elects judges and sheriffs. Reports to Mayor and City Council.
* BUILD SUBWAYS - a few kilometers a year, every year. 25 year ongoing planning.
* FAIR FUNDING: 20% City, 40% Provincial, 40% Federal. NO USER FEES. Makes environmental winners of us all. Lets get serious about our values and the future of our children.
at 8:55 AM