Friday, April 23, 2010

Bike Forum discusses free public transportation

All transportation is subsidized. People drive on the road for "free" (except tollways) and probably more tax dollars subsidize that than go towards public transportation. In the US the gas tax certainly does not cover anywhere near the cost of providing roads. As I understand it, University of British Columbia students get "free" transit in Vancouver subsidized by various means. I think it is a great idea. The city is very well served by public transit and that makes it attractive and cheap for other users. -- cooker, on bike forum

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! In fact, when I recently appeared before London, Ontario's committee which was examining a proposal for subsidized public transit, I accused the City of doing everything backwards and that drivers of private auto are being treated as a social service. Audio here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Greg. I hope you don't mind that I will be making a video using your audio clip (personal details omitted) and uploading it to youtube over the summer. Fare-free public transit should be the first thing considered by Goverments as a solution to oil dependence and environmental problems caused by the over use of automobiles.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete